Last edited on 1999-12-15 05:36:56 by stolfi
Voynich manuscript talk
On July 29 I gave a talk on the Voynich manuscript at the
22nd Brazilian Mathematics Colloquium (Rio de Janeiro, july
27-30, 1999). The talk was part of the Special Session on
Combinatorics. I gave a repeat performance a week later here in
Campinas, in a Combinatorics Workshop organized by R. Dahab (Unicamp)
and Y. Kohayakawa (USP).
You can get here my overhead slides in
Postscript format (5.6 MB, compressed with "zip" to 2.2 MB).
- 01 Cover slide
- 02 History of the Manuscript
- 03 The Manuscript
- 04 Major research efforts (inconclusive)
- 05 False solutions
- 06 Contents
- 07 The illustrations
- 08 The main text
- 09 Readable bits of text
- 10 What is the alphabet?
- 11 The EVA transcription alphabet
- 12 What does it mean?
- 13 The case for cipher
- 14 The case against cipher
- 15 Vigenère cipher
- 16 Effect of Vigenère cipher on Zipf's law
- 17 Is it random text?
- 18 Word length distribution
- 19 Comparing word length distributions
- 20 Entropy of Voynichese
- 21 Two languages? (1)
- 22 Two languages? (2)
- 23 The fine structure of words
- 24 The coarse structure of words
- 25 Problem: The original page order
- 26 Comparing pages by word usage
- 27 Comparing frequencies of several words
- 28 TSP by exhaustive enumeration
- 29 Folio permutations
- 30 Other problems
- 31 The Pizza Bet: phonetic Chinese?
- 32 Some references
- 33 Image sources